A few minutes later, Wade gave me the early Christmas gift of a gleaming cupboard of canned goods.
I've been opening it when I walk by just to pause and feel order.
This encounter is a good illustration of my philosophy that there are two types of people in this world:
- Nice People. These are the people who get out the scissors every time they need to open a cereal box lining. They use things like twist ties and toothpaste lids.
- People Like Me. We rip into every bag of chips like it's our biggest package on Christmas morning. We lick smudged CD's. And where the heck are our keys?!
Grandma Jean taught me the trick of stashing dirty dishes in the oven when company comes. I thought this was a good idea until I forgot about said plastic dishes the next time I preheated the oven. That was a big stinky fire.
Every few months I go on a Kiersten kick (Kiersten is a dear and highly organized friend). I buy Sterilite containers, I label them, I clean out drawers. But, inevitably, six weeks later I'm dumping the contents of the same containers onto the floor while I rummage for a nail file. My hidden spaces are a monument to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the one about increasing disorder.
The truth is, if I ever want to be a Nice Person, I don't need more Sterilite. I need a new personality.
Are you a Nice Person or the other kind?

The other kind. I am still embarrassed about the time I told Grace(after she had complemented me on my straight house) how I just swept all the crumbs into the closet and closed the door! The tricks of the trade should stay secrets.
ReplyDeleteI was just thinking today....I thought I just cleaned out that drawer...as things were falling out of it!! How on EARTH do I become so unorganized?! Next time I come over, I'm checking your oven! :) Just kidding!
ReplyDeleteAh, just when I thought you really were the consummate homemaker and example of perfection, you go and shatter it all.
ReplyDeleteThank goodness qualifications for heaven are not contingent on the organization (or lack thereof) of ones junk drawer. I will think of you, merrily licking your CDs, however, for weeks to come.
I totally used scissors to open a box of Cheerios this morning! It's okay--we can still be friends :)
ReplyDeletejust checking my com.
ReplyDeletei am people like you! like you! toothpaste lids, baah.
ReplyDeleteso like you. cleanest toilet ever, don't open my spice cupboard.
try the oven, the micro and any shower stall or closet you have, I am a person like you!
ReplyDeleteLet's just say my six-year-old has chided me on the goopy state of my toothpaste. Lily takes after me, so together we drive Lincoln nuts!
ReplyDeleteApparently, I've already been labeled. All I can say is don't give up on the Sterilites...or if you do, just give them all to me. :o)
ReplyDelete