Friday, May 21, 2010

So LOST Without You

It's the elephant in the room. We keep mulling about our daily lives, but the truth is lurking . . . LOST ends on Sunday. I'm torn between excitement for the big finish and disappointment at knowing it's over. Dirty anticipation and its delicious duality.

Wade and I came late to the LOST party; we were still holding out for The West Wing even though it was several seasons past actually being good. At the time, reality TV shows were reproducing like bunnies, and LOST somehow converged with Survivor in my estimation. And then Heather was generous, as ever, with her DVD library. Now just like Air Supply says, "I know that I was so wrong."

Following are some of the myriad life lessons LOST teases:
  • You've gotta . . . "Make Your Own Kind of Music" (thank you Momma Cass, Desmond, and the Hatch).
  • People are complicated and hard to judge.
  • People can change.
  • Baywatch and Lord of the Flies were always meant to be together.
  • Good and bad are oh-so-connected.
  • Being absolutely adorable can totally compensate for mediocre acting (yes you, Sawyer).
  • Destiny and drudgery aren't too far apart.
  • One more episode is like one more chocolate chip cookie: the hunger is insatiable.
So thank you, LOST, for giving me so many hours of escape from the ordinary, so many cheap date nights, so many cultish conversations. Thank you for getting me through two winters, two tax seasons, and a bajillion loads of laundry. Thanks for the Dharma jumpsuits, for Ben's goggly eyes, for Jack.

I'll miss you ever so.

P.S. Some parting gifts.
LOST Parody Harry Potter
LOST Parody Lord of the Rings
LOST Parody Pirates of the Carribean

5 comments:

  1. I am with you 100%. I also came late to the LOST party, but thanks to Megan and Robby -last July, I jumped in with all I have. Thanks to the Whites and Heather for the DVD's. At 10:30 pm Robby and I would say, "Dad won't be home for 45 minutes, let's do one more!!" We would usually do two more, and poor Bruce began to feel neglected. He had no idea what was coming this Fall. But, to his credit, he has handed me every news release on LOST the last few weeks. We are finally sharing it, in a strange, "lostian" way. Thanks to Wade for introducing me to HULU where I saw all of season five. And thanks to Mary and Chad for letting me watch in Boston, even though they thought I was there to help with Lucy. It thrills me that even though they didn't start until late February of season 6 - I think they are hooked!!! Thanks to Kate and Megan, and Anne, and Mary - for the Wednesday or Thursday phone calls to discuss the latest episode. It has been so fun. Thanks to Robby for liking "biolence" so much - so I didn't have to feel too quilty about sharing it with him. Lostapalooza starts Saturday night!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Lost, and God bless Hey Nonny for their witty and entertaining media! p.s. just finished Season 1 from the library...bring on season 2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bawled like a baby through the finale last night. Now there's a Lost-shaped hole in my heart. I watched the last half hour again today (thank you, Tivo!) and cried even harder because I finally knew what was going on. What a beautiful ending! Totally, totally lost without Lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm STILL crying and saying "it was just so beautiful" over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for anticipating it and analyzing it every week with me this year. So glad you got caught up and loved it as much as I did. Long live Lost!

    ReplyDelete