"It's Nice to Get Up in the Mornin'" a traditional Scottish song, courtesy of Suzi
Oh - it's nice to get up in the morning - when the sun begins to shine
Oh - it's nice to get up in the morning - when the sun begins to shineSuzi remembers her grandpa Parsons singing this song, and I know Grandpa Dick still sings it. What old songs do you love? How do you do in the mornings?
"The Lesson," Carol Lynn Pearson 1998, courtesy of Suzi
Yes, my fretting,Love this. Love Suz.
"Invictus," William Ernest Henley 1875, courtesy of Wade
Out of the night that covers me,Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
Wade's thoughts:
1. This poem puts to rest any idea that poetry is only for shirly-temple-sipping pantywaists. This is a manly poem.
2. I enjoy poetry that motivates action, and this one meets that requirement. Now, this poem focuses on full-throated, deep-in-the-bowels motivation, but that isn't the only type of motivation that comes from good poetry. Some poems motivate kind actions, some motivate pensive reflection, but I believe any poem worth its salt motivates something.
"Pied Beauty" Gerard Manley Hopkins 1918, courtesy of me

| GLORY be to God for dappled things— | |
| For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow; | |
| For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim; | |
| Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches’ wings; | |
| Landscape plotted and pieced—fold, fallow, and plough; | 5 |
| And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. | |
| All things counter, original, spare, strange; | |
| Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?) | |
| With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim; | |
| He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change: Praise Him. | 10 |
What are your favorite "dappled things"? Mine are roses with the blasted thorns and raising children.
(Why) Are things that are mixed beautiful/valuable?

To Suzi's: I LOVE old songs. I sing "The old grey mare" "The cannibal king" "Drivin in my car" (Elmer Fudd style) all the time. I think old songs like that are so loved because they have such a relaxed and easy feel to them...and it is NICE to get up in the morning...but some things like warm blankets and soft pillows are just plane nicer.
ReplyDeleteTo Wade, I'm not sure Chad agrees with your take that poetry has a manly side...but I see it.
To Anne: Dappled? Chocolate- the old moment on the lips forever on the hips bit really gets me. (I am at this moment snacking on Dark Chocolate covered Prunes of all things...talk about dappled). Truly there has to be opposition and balance in all things. It gives life a depth meaning that otherwise wouldn't exist. For example, as much as I LOVE David Archuletta songs ("Touch My Hand" is my favorite) Can you imagine listening to that all the time? You need to balance out the happy and upbeat with the somber and intense to get the fullness of joy that makes life meaningful.
....Can you tell I want to win the prize?
Mary - I love the prunes/chocolate dappling thing - you are good
ReplyDelete1. Sunny mornings are worth getting up for. "Meeerki" mornings not so much.
ReplyDelete2. That photo under "Invictus" kind of scares me. . . and this is the only poem that men can quote--just ask my husband. I also think men like poems that use the word "captain." Cody also likes that one captain poem by Walt Whitman--you know which one I'm talking about :)
3. To me, this poem is about the intricacy and beauty of details in God's creations. That even I should appreciate the freckles on my shoulders because it's a wonder that they're there at all (at least this is what I tell myself.) We should also appreciate the beauty of things as God created them, in all their originality and strangeness. As for dappled things? I love the shine of a horse's coat in the sun. No matter the color, a horse's coat grows in dapples--talk about details :)
Oh you did not just write a post about Gerard Manley Hopkins! Oh, but you did! I love him. I love everything about his poetry and this little dip back into the poetic world was the bright spot of a busy Tuesday.
ReplyDeleteQuick commentary: I love the Carol Lynn Pearson poem, it's always been one of my faves; Invictus IS manly and inspiring; and GMH is simply marvelous, always.
1. The first thing I think of every day when I wake up for class is, "How soon can I take a nap?" Today, that joy came during BYU devo. Sorry, Elder Condie.
ReplyDelete2. I don't necessarily think of captaining my soul as a violent or bloody endeavor, but it takes courage and strength to move forward amidst obstacles. Rolling with the punches is part of the deal.
3. Ditto to Mary's comment. It's like m'Chiaroscuro dance in junior high (stay with me): It's the contrast between light and dark that draws attention to the light. Apply where'ere appropriate.
not sure what I'm supposed to do here . . .
ReplyDeleteI do want to say, I'm with Wade! Love that poem. It was one of my mantras during labor and delivery last year. "It matters not how stait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." This poem is empowering. It gives me that powerful, Nike kind of feeling, one I get when I need to finish a run. I love it!
Anne, it's Friday! I want another post. I've been waiting and waiting. Perhaps waiting for good poetry a dappled situation.
ReplyDelete....Does this count as another comment submission?